10 tips for a beautiful garden corner in August
August is more about holidays than gardening . Your garden corner in August is indeed the privileged place for lazy breaks and moments of conviviality. It is therefore a priority to keep the garden in shape to provide a beautiful setting for these activities of relaxation.
What to do in the garden in August?
This is an ideal time to heal your plants and make cleaning sizes that will help to look good in your garden. Take the opportunity to cut your favorite plants, it’s a good time! Here are 10 tips to help you make your garden in August a little summer paradise:
Enjoy the blooming dahlias , kings of summer! They offer indeed this season a festival of shapes, sizes and colors. Cut their withered flowers, this prevents them from exhausting themselves to form and feed a fruit after the flower. In addition, it stimulates the formation of new flowers. Do not hesitate to pick some to compose beautiful bouquets in warm tones!
- Prune spring-flowering perennials as they are now de-foliated. Remove the dried out parts and give them a harmonious shape. And do not forget to water the subjects planted for less than a year!
- Enjoy the end of flowering hydrangeas and take the opportunity to make the last fresh bunches of summer. For stems that you will not cut, keep their inflorescences faded. They are indeed very decorative in winter and protect young buds from frost. (Learn more about hydrangeas for small gardens )
- Make a size of formatting on boxwood , charcoal and loniceras treated in topiary, whether in balls or in hedges. This operation has the merit of immediately giving a spruce air to your little garden in August!
- Cut the shrubs from the garden in August. It is indeed at this time that the wood of the year hardens and becomes woody (it is Augusté). Thus, the cuttings made with this wood root more easily. After removing the twigs, remove the excessively soft ends. Each cuttings must have 2 to 5 levels of leaves. Eliminate the 2 bottom leaves and cut the remaining leaves to halve their surface. Then sting the cuttings in a pot filled with a light mixture (peat and sand) that you moistened the day before planting. Keep in the shade until transplanting in the spring. And a little extra advice, do not hesitate to make several cuttings of the same species because all will not succeed!
- Plan a summer size of your citrus in pots or bins. This soft waist completes that already made at the end of winter. It aims to balance the silhouette of the shrub. For this, eliminate the greedy misplaced and without flower buds. Pinch the ends of the longer branches too. Do not cut too much foliage and look for a rounded shape.
- Remember to add fresh potting soil to the potted plants . Your plants will appreciate this as much as a supply of fertilizer. For that, it is enough to put down the container and to make fall as much earth possible with a claw with hand. Straighten, add the new potting soil, water and that’s it! (Learn more about the 4 secrets of plants in shape ).
- Pinch the aromatic plants in bloom to keep your feet very bushy. Among other things, do not wait until the basil is in bloom to harvest! Cut it short enough as soon as it begins to form floral spikes. It will then produce new shoots good to harvest, otherwise it will die once the flowering is completed. (Learn more about herbs )
- Have a good time and take the opportunity to observe the little visitors of your garden. Lick while observing the lizard for example. It feeds on insects, spiders, gastropods. It is a precious auxiliary of the garden, especially do not hunt it!
- Set up your small garden or balcony in a magical place with a few bright spots. Candles, nomad lamps or solar lanterns are perfect to create the atmosphere and allow you to enjoy the evenings outside. Tips to highlight the garden or to light the balcony during summer evenings.
In the end, take care of the garden in August it is not complicated! This is perfect for garden lovers who have their heads on vacation. And if you go away and do not want to find your garden corner in poor condition back, follow our tips for easy and effective watering !