Balconies of decoration for April
A well-known saying tells us ” In April, do not discover a thread ” and another, less famous, ” It is so nice month of April that has his hat sleet .” One and the other recommend us to be patient in April in the garden ! Yet spring is here. The buds ready to hatch and the spring bulbs in bloom are proof of this. However, it is a month that can still hold fresh surprises. So no precipitation with regard to fragile species, aromatics or tomatoes among others. But that does not mean that there is nothing to do in April in the garden or on the balcony!
The 10 things to do in April in the garden
April in the garden is the perfect time to prepare the beautiful season to come. It is indeed the month when the earth heats up as fast as possible even if some late frosts are still possible. The 10 tips to follow in April in the garden are precious for your little summer garden!
- As soon as the flowers of the spring bulbs are faded, cut their stem but do not touch the foliage.
It allows the bulb to rebuild its reserves to bloom again next year. For a more aesthetic effect, you can braid or bind the foliage with raffia (that of daffodils in particular), it will avoid carelessly scatter on the ground. In bins or planters, it is better to tear off the bulbs to make room for the summer plantations. In addition, you will have the pleasure of renewing them or discovering new ones next autumn!
- Prune shrubs that have bloomed in early spring at the end of their flowering ( Japanese coral , spring spirea , forsythia …). You can also air the heart of shrubs to rejuvenate their silhouette. Find out more about how to prune shrubs
- Start sowing in place of annual flowers ( alyssis , sweet pea , yarrow , nasturtium , poppy , marigold , cosmos , nigella of Damascus , knapweed , poppy …). Whether in the garden or in pots and planters, sow in light soil and well worked. The sowing of April in the garden will give you the pleasure of seeing these flowers bloom from June to September and will offer you something to compose charming natural bouquets!
- Plant summer bulbs . They have no equal to effectively fill the holes in the mountains or to create beautiful flowering summer pots. Start with the less fragile like lilies for example (learn more about lilies in the garden ).
On the other hand, wait until the end of the last frosts to install the dahlias (to know more about the dahlias for small gardens ), the arums , the begonias or the agapanthes . Also consider adding organic fertilizer to the plantation to support flowering throughout the summer. Discover a selection of bulbs for small gardens and balconies.
- Prepare your garden to welcome the first seedlings of radishes , carrots , parsley and other aromatics. For your vegetables, prefer sowing online. This method facilitates maintenance and weeding. You can also choose pre-seeded ribbon seeds that guarantee an ideal space between the seeds.
- Divide the tufts of aromatics that take up too much space or lose vigor ( chives , oregano , mint …). Plan a site or pots to create a garden of herbs as soon as the frosts are no longer to be feared ( herbs, the queens of the urban vegetable garden ).
- Divide also perennials that only bloom in the second half of the summer such as autumn daisies , heucheria , rudbeckias or daylilies . This will give them a new youth and you can offer plants to neighbors and friends!
- Install a mulch at the foot of your plants, whether in the ground or in pots. You will limit the watering but also the weeding!
- Protect young shoots (seedlings, seedlings of vegetables and flowers, hostas , lilies …) against snails and slugs. To keep them at bay, put a fence with ash, a copper band or lava pellets.
- Check watering can, hose and other watering equipment and do not forget to give some water to your potted plants when the earth dries out on the surface.
Here are 10 simple and easy-to-follow tips that will help you enjoy April in the garden while shaping your garden area for next summer. Just hope that the cold or the rain does not spoil the party too long!