10 tips for the balcony and the garden in March
Soon the days will be as long as the nights. And already balcony and garden in March are displaying colors! Indeed, muscaris , narcissus , crocus and other bulbs planted last fall point their nose. In favor of a rather mild end of winter if not sunny (with the exception of the last days of February!), Primroses and violets are already in bloom! The desire for gardening is becoming more and more urgent. Hope that after the cold snap, the rain does not come to upset our gardener projects!
The 10 things to do on the balcony and the garden in March
Between plantations , size and reordering of our small outdoor space, there is something to do on the balcony as in the garden in March! Here are 10 essential actions to plan this month to be ready to welcome spring:
- Clean pots , pans and planters before installing your plants. To succeed in pots, plan a good drainage at the bottom of the container with clay balls (in addition, they are light!). The volume of soil should also be quite generous, about 10 liters for a 30 cm tall plant.
- Pamper your plants in pots . For this, cut the twigs in the heart of the subject and shorten the branches to give a nice silhouette. On the other hand, unpack and remove the old earth on the surface. Replace it with a supply of fertilized soil. Finally, water abundantly ensuring that the excess water can be evacuated. Keep the protections on chilly plants.
- Weed your small garden in March. By intervening as soon as possible the task will be facilitated. Weeds are not yet well rooted and it is easier to pull them off, especially if the soil is wet. It will only remain to hoe the sites to accommodate the plantations of perennials, vegetables or aromatics.
- Prune the summer blooming shrubs . Cut without fear of depriving yourself of flowers as they bloom on the wood of the year. In addition, it helps them restart. The advice is also valid for shrub varieties such as sage or fuchsia that can be cut very short (10 to 20 cm).
- Prune shoots damaged by freezing evergreen shrubs . Just cut over leaves that have remained intact. This is also the time to reduce topics that take up too much space. Likewise, you can sculpt ball-shaped or shaped subjects such as boxwood, charcoal , privet , lonicera nitida (shrub honeysuckle) or laurels . Check out the 4 golden rules for pruning shrubs !
- Plant in pots or garden in March, deciduous shrubs, evergreen shrubs and climbing plants.
- Plant perennials purchased in scoops. No need to undo the mound (while it must be done for shrubs to avoid ” chignonnage “). The most important is the depth of planting. To avoid being fooled, cover the top of the root ball with 1 cm of soil. It’s also a good time to move the perennials if you want to change places.
- Fertilize plants in pots or in clumps with an organic fertilizer rich in trace elements. This is particularly essential for the most greedy varieties such as agapanthus (choose pellets rich in potassium and slow release to not burn the roots). In all cases, use organic fertilizers .
- Set up anti-slug and anti-snail parades . Prefer non-aggressive methods for the environment. Among them, the technique of copper wire (conductor of a tiny amount of electricity) or half-grapefruit hollowed out and returned (the gastropods take refuge there!). You can also spread a rough material that hinders their progress (mulch, ash, lava stone) or use organic slug pellets.
- Sow in place from the end of the month. You can plan to sow on the balcony or in the garden in March the seeds of poppies , centauries , nigelles , poppies or sweet peas . They will perfectly bloom a small garden in natural style or a country- style balcony .
The garden in March awakens our desire for the outdoors, we can not wait to enjoy our balcony , our terrace or our little garden . So that these small spaces are up to our expectations, it is from March that we must prepare their hatching. So, to your tools! To choose the right ones, discover the indispensable tools in a small garden.