Lily of the valley is the symbol of the garden in May. Lovely and fragrant, the little lucky flower has bloomed early this year. It may not be at the rendezvous in the gardens on May 1! Fortunately, many other flowers are ready to take over to make May, without a doubt, the most beautiful month of the year in the garden. It is also a blessed period for the gardener who can do everything in his little garden or on his balcony ! Planting, sowing or picking are some of the nice things to do in the garden in May.
The 10 things to do in the garden in May
The sweetness settles, it is finally possible to fully enjoy its garden area ! To preserve and prolong this spring beauty, there are some simple treatments to give to your little garden or balcony in May. Here are the 10 gardening tips of the month:
- Plant the summer flowers . It is indeed still time to plant dahlias that will bloom until autumn. In the north, wait until mid-May for chilly species ( impatiens , balcony geraniums , osteospermums , lantanas …). In full sun, think of the robust verbena or the dipladenia who loves the heat. These two plants bloom all summer continuously. Water and a little fertilizer are their happiness!
- Sow fast-growing annuals to fill holes in your beds or planters. Alysse , nigella of Damascus , cosmos , poppy or centaury will indeed have quickly occupy in beauty the free spaces.
- Plant climbers to dress walls, trellises or trellises. So, clematis , honeysuckle or star jasmine will not let you down. In addition, these climbers enjoy themselves both in the ground and pots. Learn more about star jasmine and clematis .
- Sow sweet peas or nasturtiums to hide unsightly grills or to add color to the vegetable patch.
- Install the tomato , pepper , pepper and eggplant plants (after May 15th in the north). Plant the tomatoes at an angle by burying the stem 10 cm and removing the leaves from the base. Do not forget to put a tutor to support them. Peppers and peppers , unlike tomatoes do not like to be too buried. How to start a small vegetable garden in town .
- Sow radishes in place. It’s easy and it’s the fastest vegetable to harvest! Sow or transplant salads (the Four Seasons Merveille variety is tender and sweet), parsley and basil to keep you entertained all summer long. For your convenience, think of ideally spaced strips or rounds of seeds that are perfect for growing in vegetable gardens or in planters and planters.
- Add potting soil to the surface of the pots after lightly scratching the soil in place. For that, choose a potting soil of good quality guaranteeing the good health of your plants cultivated in pots or planters. Discover the 4 secrets of plants in shape .
- Start preparing your flower pots to embellish balconies, terraces and small gardens of all kinds. To inspire you, find 12 flowerpot ideas for the summer .
- Save the water and, if possible, recover it . Indeed, it is better to have a long watering once a week than daily small amounts of water. Water first shade plants (sensitive to water deficit) and tomatoes (very greedy). To recover rainwater, a water recuperator is ideal. A basin, buckets or watering cans can also do the trick.
- Plant the lily of the valley in the cool shade if you have received lily of the valley in pot. He will be at the rendezvous in your garden next year!
The actions to be done in the garden in May will transform your small garden or your balcony , in a pleasant space to look and live but also in productive space! So enjoy your garden in May and if the rain is inviting, see the positive side because according to the saying “May shower has more power than ten watering cans”!
PS : all the accessories to maintain your garden corner are on the My Little Jardin shop !